Pages

Welcome to my running blog. I am currently training to run two marathons in April 2011 - Paris and London - to help celebrate my 30th Birthday. I often get asked about my training methods so thought would write a blog so you can see what it takes -also it provides me with a momento of the last few months of my twenties! In addition to the personal challenge I will be raising money for charity - please see my fundraising page for more details: www.justgiving.com/mikes-30th-marathon-run/



Wednesday 12 January 2011

Week 1: New year, New Start - My First week of training.

Always tough getting back into training after the Christmas season - a lack of practice and all those extra mince pies hanging around the middle usually coupled with a stupendous hangover from New Year Celebrations. Determined this year to avoid injury so planned a week of gentle jogs to ease myself back into things.  

Managed to clear the cobwebs with a run along the beachfront in Barcelona on the 2nd Jan but ruined all the good work with one final party on the 3rd jan before returning to London. Staggered into the gym on Monday, mainly to enjoy the steam room/hot tub/sauna combo, but did manage about 20mins on the step machines.

Solid rest of the week covering the whole repertoire of my regular runs – a 12k run from work, along the river via Vauxhall then back home; a couple of runs (11k and 5k) at steady pace (13 kmh) in the gym and a long 20k weekend run along the canal from home to canary wharf up round via Hackney marshes and through Victoria park. All nice and easy and only a few minor aches and a slightly tight hammy. Will detail the post work run and the canal run in later blogs as they are a regular staple in my running training.

To finish off a successful first week did an hour with my trainer in the gym – working on a strength program for the legs – and a Bikram yoga session.

Next week up the mileage slightly and try and get a little bit off speed into a couple of sessions.

KM Ran
Week 1 total :  48  (Target 40km)
Week 2 plan  : 50

No comments:

Post a Comment